Monday, March 18, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Synopsis
Hazel spends her time tethered to an oxygen tank and occasionally attending the cancer survivors support group. She may be alive following her battle with lung cancer, but she's not actually living. All of that changes on day when she sees a new guy staring at her in group. Augustus is also a survivor and forces her to change her views on sickness and living.

Review
This book is sad, I can't really state that enough. As usual, I jumped into this book without reading the description and then spent several hours crying as I made my way through the book. I don't know if I was having an emotional day or if this is seriously the saddest book ever. In my opinion, the emotion that the middle of the book wrung out of me overwhelmed the actual story. I also felt like the last 5th of the book just kind of lost its momentum. There was so much buildup, and then it kind of petered out.
The characters are pretty strong and feel like they could actually be real. I also appreciated that there wasn't an immediate love, or any kind of normal love triangle. The reality of the story may lose some of the younger readers that are used to the fluffy paranormal books that are running around today, and that would be a shame. This is certainly the first YA book that I have read in a long time that evoked an emotion.

My Recommendation
If you are in need of a good cry, go for it! I give it 3/5 - Good, but not something I would repeat

No comments: