Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Broken by A.E. Rought

BrokenBroken by A.E. Rought
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis

Emma's life fell apart the night she watched her boyfriend fell to his death. She is stumbling through life haunted by his ghost and memories when a new boy shows up to her school. Her attraction to him and the joy in his eyes when he meets her both upsets and intrigues her. She has to both fight her guilt about moving on from her boyfriend's death and try to open herself up to the alarming happiness offered by Alex. If she can survive getting to know him, the end result might be worth the risk.

Review

I stayed up until 3 am reading this book last night. While I figured out what the big secret was fairly early on, I still really enjoyed the story. I read a lot of retellings, but I haven't seen one done with Frankenstein before. I found the story to be interesting, though for a thriller or horror book, it was really lacking in the scary department.

I've seen a bunch of reviews likening this story to Twilight, but I honestly didn't really see the comparison. I am a Twilight hater, and if a novel has a bunch of similarities to that franchise, I usually notice. Emma fell into the "instant connection" trap, but for once there was an actual reason for it. Plus, it kinda made sense. She was a fairly strong and developed character, no sitting around wanting to die or waiting for someone to save her. She was walking around doing her thing and trying to move on with life.

If I had children, I would much rather have them read this than any of the Twilight books.

My Recommendation

I really enjoyed this story and stayed up way too late reading it. I give it  4/5 - I really liked it .



For more information about the ratings system, please click here.




View all my reviews What do you think?
Do you agree/disagree? Do you want to read it now? Or not? I love to hear(read) feedback!

No comments: