Thursday, November 1, 2012

Above by Leah Bobet

AboveAbove by Leah Bobet
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis

Founded by several people that escaped from Whitecoats and a facility that tested and tortured them, Safe is the place under the city where the monsters live in terror of Above. Those that found sanctuary there lived their lives in remembrance of the stories told by Teller, the stories that brought each of the inhabitants from the world above. The safety of their home is destroyed when it is attacked by an army of shadows; Teller and his friends must find a way to rescue his friends and rebuild Safe. If it should be rebuilt at all.

Review

I looked at the description I just wrote and realized that this book is difficult to explain. There are a bunch of negative reviews and many people found this story to be confusing, but I liked it. I don't always need my plots to be linear and complete. This novel gives you a taste of a few days in the life of Teller, one of the residents of Safe. Due to the fact that the book is narrated in the first person, you really don't learn any of the back story or know anything that Teller doesn't learn; and as happens, the story isn't complete when it ends.
One facet that I really enjoyed about the story, was that I never actually decided if everything that was described was real. Did Ariel really have the ability to turn into a bee? Or was everyone in this book just mentally compromised? I don't know, and I like it.

My Recommendation
This novel is an adventure into the mind of someone not quite normal. Some people may like it, and some will not. I enjoyed it, so I give it   4 /5  - I really liked it.


What do you think?
Do you agree/disagree? Do you want to read it now? Or not? I love to hear(read) feedback!

No comments: