Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oddily by Linda Pohring

Oddily (Oddily, #1)Oddily by Linda Pohring (and some of Maxim, the 2nd book in the series)
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Synopsis
Oddily is a foster child that is teased and tortured each day by everyone. All this changes, however, when she meets the super hot Maxim. Suddenly everyone, including Maxim, inexplicably likes her.

Review
I straight up did not like this book. I feel like it was still in a draft state, and hadn't reached a narrative level that was ready to be published.
First of all, the writing in the book is odd and stilted. I understand that Maxim and Nexa are different from everyone else, and it makes sense that the way that they talk may be different. Unfortunately, I don't believe that they would talk in overly simplistic sentences with no contractions. Plus the statements that they make were just weird. Combining that with the internal conversation between Nexa and Maxim made the book both confusing and overly simplistic at times.
The characters were very flat and I couldn't bring myself to care about them. For instance, Oddily is seriously tortured through the first half of the book, but it didn't really seem to matter other than being part of the story.
Plot - This novel fell in to the overly cheesy YA romance trap. Maxim meets Oddily and just loves her. There's no preamble, no reason what so ever, he just loves her. For ever and ever and ever. And she loves him back. Even though he takes over her life, controlling every single aspect of it. The plot is overly simplistic and chunky. Things just suddenly happen, with no reasoning or build up. For instance, on kid decides to go from tormentor to friend on an apparent whim. And Oddily is cool with it, she lets him go from devil to bestie in a paragraph.
Finally the conclusion of the book. There isn't one. The story just cuts off in the middle of a scene and directs you to the next book. I attempted to read the next book, but wasn't able to make it more than a couple of chapters.

Side note - think of the Watchmen if you read the book and tell me if you notice any similarities.

My Recommendation

I didn't like this book. Though I forced myself to continue reading in the hopes that the story got better, it didn't. I give it 1/5- Not worth the effort 

What do you think?
Do you agree/disagree? Do you want to read it now? Or not? I love to hear(read) feedback!

No comments: