Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry


Knee DeepKnee Deep by Jolene Perry


Synopsis

Ronnie is a lucky girl, she found the love of her life at the age of 14. She leads a charmed life; two best friends and loving parents. Even school is going her way, she was cast as Juliet's understudy after her first ever audition. If only she could figure out why she's holding back with boyfriend, and why she can't just keep him happy.

Review

More often then I would like to admit, I don't look at the description on books and read them based only on their cover. This is one of those books. I assumed that it would be yet another teen romance; and it was, kinda. I don't know that I would have chosen to read it if I would have known that it was about abusive relationships; as this can be a bit of a touchy subject with me, but I did enjoy the book.
Overall, the story was an engaging read. While it was easy to figure out that Shawn, the boyfriend, was going to be abusive, the story still managed to keep me interested in Ronnie's relationship with Luke (her best friend).
With this kind of book, sometimes I pull myself out of the story and think about the message the book conveys. I feel like Jolene Perry really considered the effect her book could have on young readers. I appreciated the fact that she had a voice of reason in the book that kept her heroine from jumping immediately from an abusive relationship into the arms of another boy. Ronnie was given the chance to face her situation and wasn't just rescued by someone, raising the book in my view.

My Recommendation

One of the better books that deals with abusive relationships for teens. I think that it would be a great read for teenagers. I give it 4/5 - Wait for a sale/coupon.


No comments: