Monday, August 9, 2010

The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey

The Sleeping BeautyThe Sleeping Beauty

Synopsis
Rosa is the princess of a very wealthy kingdom ruled by The Tradition, a magical force that forces innocent people into the roles of classic tales. When her mother dies shortly after her 16th birthday and her father immediately remarries, she knows an evil stepmother is only the beginning of her battle against The Tradition to protect her kingdom and her happiness.

Review
I am a huge fan of reworked fairy tales, plus I'm a fan of Mercedes Lackey so this book was really a win win for me. While the book is titled "Sleeping Beauty," the plot actually attempts to tie in a whole range of stories. While I wish that the book would have stuck more to one story, I really enjoyed the read. Actually, I stayed up pretty much all night reading the book as I had a hard time putting it down. I enjoyed Rosa's growth as well as her godmother's romantic journey. Plus, there were several parts that were simply funny. The princes were entertaining, and at one point I wasn't quite sure who was going to win Rosa, which is quite unusual.

My Recommendation
A nice, enjoyable read safe for all ages. I give it a 5/5 - Worth Full Price as I know that I will enjoy reading it again. I know that it isn't a revolutionary work of literature, but I really enjoyed it. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is on my TBR pile. I'm really looking forward to it!