Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Expendables

The ExpendablesThe Expendables
Synopsis
A bunch of aging action stars run around fighting each other and blowing things up. Really, I didn't get much more plot out of this.

Review
The movie starts off with lots of closeups and wiggly camera shots reminiscent of a time before steady cams. Compound this with every action movie cliche you can think of, and I'm not really sure if this movie is supposed to be a satire of action movies as a whole, or it Sylvester Stallone is simply trying to relive his glory days.  But either way, it really fell flat on it's face. I really, really wanted to care about the characters, but it I couldn't. Unless you have a desire to see what happens when Jet Li fights Dolph Lundgren, I'd suggest just renting your favorite aging action movies (my choices would be The Transporter and The Die Hard Collection) or watching The Losers if you want a pretty good action movie with spunk.

My Recommendation
Unless you really miss the good old days of Rocky, I would skip this one and just watch an old favorite. I'm giving it a 2/5 - If it happens to be around, it's OK.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Totally agree. The line between totally serious and totally having fun was blurred. Like the Arnold scene? I don't know, I didn't get it.